Pages

Valuable lesson from Mahan



Life lesson from Mahan: In 1976, i went to Singapore to get initiation. I had to stay at the Sabhai with Mahan for a few days. I gave my passport and money to Mahan for safekeeping. Mahan kept it safely in his cupboard. After a few days when I was about to leave, Mahan went to his cupboard to return my belongings. Only my passport was there minus the cash. The secretary had accidently taken my money together with Mahan’s money and banked it. So i couldn’t come back due to lack of cash. Mahan comforted me by saying that some disciples might come later in the day and i could collect back my money to return to KL. We waited and waited until night and nobody turned up and so I had to stay another day at the sabhai. This is when Mahan told me that if he thinks strongly that something must happen, it won’t happen but casually thinking about something will make it manifest…“Virumbinaal Veleggi Pogem; Veleggi Irunthal Virumbi  Varum” [if you desire too much the object will move away from you but if you don’t desire at all the object will be attracted to you]. This was Mahans way of teaching a lesson so that one will remember it forever. This is very characteristic of Mahan. Anyway, the next day the problem was solved and I returned home with a very valuable lesson learned. To this day, I apply this principle with much success. Santhosham.